If you’re in the mood to experiment with your hair, December is the perfect time to try something new. Inspired by the autumn/winter 2017 catwalks we bring you tips on how to create two failsafe styles, as well as handbag heroes to take you from dusk to dawn, and rescue remedies for when it’s all over.
The Show Pony
A modern take on a classic, a poker-straight ponytail worn neatly at the nape of the neck with a clean centre parting is a simple yet sophisticated look for a seamless desk to dance floor transition. You’ll need very few products and only a couple of minutes to help add a little flair to your hair.
- Start by creating a centre parting. Find the middle by using the centre of the bridge of your nose as a guide and then run a comb, held perpendicular to your scalp, backwards from your forehead.
- Once your hair is parted in the middle, gather your hair at the nape of your neck and secure with an elastic, using your comb for precision if you need it.
- Use the Tangle Teezer Gold Rush Compact Styler to smooth out any fly-away hairs and spray your hands with hairspray before gently smoothing over your head.
- Run the straighteners through the length of your ponytail for a final poker-straight finish.
- Spritz the length of your ponytail with Windle & Moodie Light Shine Spray for a high-shine, glossy effect.
- If your hair is less than fresh, Byredo Gypsy Water Hair Perfume is the perfect way to revitalise day-old hair, plus it’s a subtle and interesting new way to wear scent.
An effortless, ‘cool girl’ take on voluminous salon-esque waves, this style is one to save for Saturday night when you’re getting ready at home and have the luxury of time.
- Prep hair by washing with a volume-boosting shampoo and conditioner combination, such as Living Proof’s Full range.
- Before blow drying, spritz Ouai Memory Mist lightly and evenly onto damp hair to protect against heat styling and add shine, but most importantly lock in the perfect wave and deliver long-lasting hold.
- Turn your head upside down and set your hairdryer to a low speed and heat, and let gravity help boost the volume.
- Once you’ve rough-dried your hair, switch the setting of your dryer to cool and blast locks with cold air to add a tousled, undone look.
- Using a comb, section your hair leaving half up and half down; secure the top up and out of the way. Holding the T3 Whirl Convertible Styling Wand horizontally take a one-inch section of hair and wrap around the base of barrel away from the face and all the way to the end, allowing the hair to gently twist as you wrap. Continue until all of your hair is done.
- After letting your hair cool down, gently tug on the sections and run your fingers lightly through them to open up the waves.
- For a fuller look, gently brush through with a flat brush.
- Massage the crown of the head to create lift at the roots and give that undone vibe, then set the style by spraying with Ouai Soft Hair Spray for hold with natural movement.
Space NK Haircare Buyer Kate Saunders shares her top haircare heroes, perfect for keeping in your handbag and using to spruce up your style when the clock strikes 12.
“If your hair has a tendency to fall flat during a night out, the mini-sized version of Oribe’s award-winning, volume-boosting Dry Texturizing Spray is a must. Spray directly into your roots and massage in with your fingers.”
“This teeny, tiny Tangle Teezer fits into the palm of your hand and gets to the bottom of tricky tangles in seconds, leaving hair sleek and shiny without tearing or tugging.”
“Super silky and lightweight in texture, this mini version of Oribe Gold Lust Oil is my go-to for adding lustre to thirsty, dehydrated ends.”
“If like me your hair hates humidity, Living Proof’s No Frizz Humidity Shield is a real life-line, especially on a night out. You can spray it directly onto dry hair as a touch-up or final step before you head out the door.”
The Morning After
If it’s work as usual the next day and you don’t have time to wash and blow-dry your hair, Kate suggests getting the most out of last night’s do with a few quick fixes.
“Bumble and bumble’s brand new Prêt-à-Powder Très Invisible Nourishing Dry Shampoo is a real game changer. Unlike other dry shampoos, it’s formulated with hibiscus extract and so not only leaves hair fresh with a just-showered shine, but it also works to nourish it post party.”
“If you want to wear your hair down and cash in on last night’s curls, spritz over Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Spray for naturally beautiful waves with a glossy shine in seconds.”
If you have the luxury of a lie in, why not treat your tresses to a bit of TLC with a nourishing treatment. Lenor Greyl’s ultra luxurious Nourishing Treatment Mask restores hydration and leaves locks soft and manageable.